Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Pirate Party: My Adventurer Turns 3

I have a lot of blogging to catch up on! Amazing how a tiny new baby can take all of my attention and free time. ;)

One post that's been waiting in the wings since before the baby was born is my 2nd born's pirate birthday party.  He's a big three year old boy now!  

I planned his party in September and threw it less than a week before giving birth to his little brother.  I was very happy not to have had the baby that day or on his actual birthday a few days later.  So please excuse the pictures of the huge 38 weeker in this post!  The baby looked like it was going to fall out of the bottom of my shirt and that is not a look anyone wants to go for pregnant or not!

So on to the party and a very belated (internet addition) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BIG BOY!!

He wanted a pirate party and I wanted to go all out as much as my aching back would let me.  I was able to make this amazing cake and it was actually rather simple after reading a few picture tutorials online.  My Adventurer LOVED it.  He still talks about it and asks for a slice.  Sorry, dude, it's long gone.  


It was a beautiful day outside.  It was great to have most of the party out there.  Especially because we had a treasure dig that would have gotten very messy inside!  I bought loads of "treasure" at the dollar store (coins, necklaces, gems, trophies, etc.) and hid them in a cooler under several pounds of dried beans.  I made a key that showed them what to find and how many of each they could take and taped it to the lid.  If I had more energy I might have decorated the cooler to look like a real treasure chest, but I don't think they would have noticed anyway.  :)  The kids took these treasures home in a bag along with gold wrapped chocolates.


He had a table full of pirate themed finger food.  The kids really enjoyed it.  There were "fish and chips" (goldfish crackers mixed with tortilla chips), Seaweed dip (spinach artichoke dip), jewels and gold platters (fruit and cheese cubes), dead men's bones (homemade pizza bites with dipping sauce), and pirate ships (hotdogs with sails on top).


Here they are eating under the fort we made early in the summer with their pirate ship hotdogs.


After food and gifts it was time to blow out the candles and cut the cake.  The candles were stuck out of the front like cannons so as not to burn up the sails.  To great effect, I might add.


Then we had pirate root beer floats complete with mustache straws.  Even the adults loved these straws.  


It was a great party, even if I hadn't been 8 1/2 months pregnant.  Though I do wonder if I hadn't had ten gallons of hormones pumping through my veins would I have gone to these lengths?  Lol.  We'll never know. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment